Prayer 4 The Aged

         
At the Well this week I met a man whom I’ve seen around from time to time. Very gentle older man that seems focused on doing volunteer work for His heavenly Father. On occasions we have had some talk about past work experiences and the importance of family.
This last time that we crossed paths, he said that he wanted to share something with me. I was taken back by his excitement and waited for him to retreat his surprise. I was wondering what could be so important to him that even as he was rushing by, he took a minute to remember me. 
To my surprise, he hands me a laminated typed out post card. As I thanked him and began walking away I read these profound words which really spoke volumes to me. This post cards helped me to understand my parents and it showed me my new behavior a bit more clearly.
After I sat down and read it for a second time, I thanked the Lord for this card and the person who handed it to me. For you see, this was the older man's way of praying for me. Oh how sweet his thought was towards me even though I don’t think I’m old; like the wise Solomon wrote –   Ecclesiastes 1:2

Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher; 
Vanity of vanities, all is vanity  

As you read this, allow yourself to meditate on the wording for a moment before you think that this isn’t for you. Then pass it along!

Prayer 4 The Aged
“Lord, thou knowest better that I know myself that I am growing older and will someday be Old. Keep me from getting talkative and particularly from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every occasion.
Release me from wanting to straighten out every body’s affairs.
Keep my mind free from reciting endless details and give me wings to get to the point.
I ask for grace enough to listen to the tales of other peoples’ pain and help me to endure them with patience. Seal my lips on my own aches and pains as they are increasing and I am beginning to enjoy hearing myself complain.
Teach me Lord, the glorious lesson that occasionally it is possible that I may be mistaken.
Keep me reasonably sweet, I do not want to be a saint, some of them are so hard to live with, but neither a sour old person, because that is the work of the evil one. Make me thoughtful but not moody, helpful but not bossy.
With this vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it, so use me Lord, but remember Lord that I want a few friends at the end.”

Comments

  1. excellent reading...thank you for sharing , need a printed copy so that i may pray for myself and be reminded of things to come if they are not already here. suzie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The A B C’s of LIFE

“We All Go The Way of Grace”