SELF

Hey mama, there she goes again, using that dirty word, “Self”. 

Yes, “self” is one of those words that makes us cringe. We surely do not like having any discussion about it. We tell ourselves that we have it all under control.
Well, let’s take a closer look.
Our flesh has much that must be laid down at the Cross, such as our attitudes, our sin, our behavior and our fleshly lust, just to name a few. 
I have struggles and weaknesses that I need to nail to the Cross. I struggle with wanting to have a drink. I foolishly opened this door some time ago after being set free, and now I have to deal with this. I am learning to pray and ask the Lord to teach me how to nail this to the Cross. I so desire to be set free again. I struggle with outburst of road rage. Out of nowhere, I am screaming at drivers that are acting careless and have a few chosen words for them. I am surprised at myself that I still know such words, only to realize that I must continue to die to this flesh. 
I share this, in light of our topic for this week. I want to encourage you to be honest with God about your own struggles.  
I just finished reading a powerful book by L. E. Maxwell called, Born Crucified, in which the author made a really good and strong point that pricked my heart.
Let’s pray.
Lord, I pray for the Holy Spirit to open our heart’s and give us understanding. Let us honestly examine ourselves and allow Your Spirit to reveal to us any areas in our lives that we must bring to Calvary.
Mr. Maxwell writes;
“And in the infinite power and wisdom of God, He chose The Cross as a contradiction of us”.
Point # 1     The Cross contradicts our will.
Point # 2     The Cross contradicts our pride.
Point # 3     The Cross contradicts our wisdom.
Point # 4     The Cross contradicts our desires.
Point # 5     The Cross contradicts “self”.
Self will not cast out self.  (I think I want to put that on a T-shirt).
Too often, we stop this growing process because we believe that we are good people. We are serving the Lord and we ignore God’s Holy Spirit calling us to higher ground. We have become like the church of Laodicea – lukewarm and comfortable. We have lost our zeal.
Listen to this warning that Jesus made and let’s take heed. Revelation 3:14-19
“I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing —and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked.
I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 
This is an excellent warning to us, The church.  Let’s take a moment to ask yourself these questions. Be real with yourself, for this is between you and the Lord.
Are you feeling stagnate?
Has church become a routine for you?
Have I become comfortable or lukewarm?
Have I lost my 1st love?
This week, let us search our heart to see if there is any wicked way that we must confess to God. He is so faithful and so true. A contrite (sorrowful) spirit is what He desires of us.
Let us make this scripture our prayer this week as we cry out for God to pour out His Spirit unto us as He continues to shape us and mold us into His image.

“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me;

and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God,

who loved me and gave Himself for me”.    

                                                            Galatians 2:20  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The A B C’s of LIFE

“We All Go The Way of Grace”