Issues of The Heart - Greed

2 Kings 5:20-25,  2 Kings 8:4-5
In the previous account of the Shunamite Woman, we saw Gehazi used by God to discern the true desire of her heart. We can also say that he was a good and trusted companion of Elisha. 
So many times we walk with God believing that we are good and faithful companions of Him. I’ve learned that I must keep myself in check. This includes above all, my heart. Oh, how deceivingly wicked it is and honestly I do not understand my heart.
God’s gentle and kind Holy Spirit has been dealing with me about “I need to examine my heart, to see if there is any wicked way in me,” for God knows all that is in my heart.

Psalm 139:1-3

O Lord, You have searched me and known me.
You know my sitting down and my rising up;
You understand my thought afar off.
You comprehend my path and my lying down
And are acquainted with all my ways.
How difficult it is to heart His small still voice, His Holy Spirit, chastening me and urging me to deal with an issue in my heart and repent! Even more difficult, has been the surrender on my part to confess my sin and to ask God to forgive me. Oh how wicked is this pride within! 
Thank you Lord that you never give up and continue to discipline us! For it is Your desire to bring us into perfection as You set us free.
My prayer and intent through this study, is that you will learn how important it is to take a true look at your heart, and encourage you to allow God’s Spirit to minister to you about your heart.
Let’s look at the story of Gehazi, the servant of Elisha in the book of 2 Kings 5:20-21 and as you read this account, take a closer look at the character of Gehazi.
2 Kings 5:19-21
But Gehazi, the servant of Elisha the man of God, said, “Look, my master has spared Naaman this Syrian, while not receiving from his hands what he brought; but as the Lord lives, I will run after him and take something from him.” So Gehazi pursued Naaman. When Naaman saw him running after him, he got down from the chariot to meet him, and said, “Is all well?”
Heart Question
1.     Who is having this conversation?
2.     Why do you think Gehazi desire the gifts that Naaman offered to Elisha?
3.     What do you think about Gehazi’s description of Naaman?
4.     Can you hear the voice of Gehazi’s heart in verse 20? What do you hear?
5.     How does this warning in 2 Corinthians 13:5, speak to you? 
“Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you? Unless indeed you are disqualified.”
2 Kings 5:22
 And he said, “All is well. My master has sent me, saying, ‘Indeed, just now two young men of the sons of the prophets have come to me from the mountains of Ephraim. Please give them a talent of silver and two changes of garments.’”
Heart Question
1.     After a long time of serving Elisha and seeing miracles performed by God, Gehazi’s true heart is revealed. What do you see?
2.     Why did it take so long for Gehazi's greed to come to the surface?
3.     What does this show you about undealt with issues of the heart?
4.     Would you consider issues of the heart unconfessed sin? Why?

 Jeremiah 9:7-8

Because of this the Lord Almighty says “I will refine my people like metal and put them to the test. My people have done evil, what else can I do with them? Their tongues are like deadly arrows; they always tell lies. Everyone speaks friendly words to their neighbors, but they are really setting a trap for them.
1.     How does this scripture speak to you?
2.     Neighbors can include, family or church members. Can you see what the scripture is saying about “issues of the heart,” such as anger, discord, unforgiveness, etc?

Let’s Take A Closer Look At Sin

Sin is disobedience to God’s ways.

2 Kings 5:22-25

“Yes,” Gehazi said, “but my master has sent me to tell you that two young prophets from the hill country of Ephraim have just arrived. He would like 75 pounds of silver and two sets of clothing to give to them.”
“By all means, take twice as much silver,” Naaman insisted. He gave him two sets of clothing, tied up the money in two bags, and sent two of his servants to carry the gifts for Gehazi. But when they arrived at the citadel, Gehazi took the gifts from the servants and sent the men back. Then he went and hid the gifts inside the house.
Heart Question
1.     What do you see?
2.     How easily it was for Gehazi to deceive Naaman. Why?
3.     Would you say that this sin was a temptation or an issue of the heart? Why?
Let’s Take A Look At What Follows Sin - The Cover Up
·        Lied to get Naaman’s gift that was offered to Elisha which he refused.
·        Lied and used his master’s name and received double from Naaman who was grateful for his healing and salvation.
·        Gehazi will continue to lie to cover up this deception.
Heart Question
Psalm 33:13-14
The Lord looks down from heaven and sees the whole human race. From his throne he observes
all who live on the earth. He made their hearts, so he understands everything they do.
1.     How do you think God felt as He was watching this taking place?
Let’s Take A Closer Look At The Consequence of Sin - The Punishment
·        Gehazi will continue to lie to cover up when Elisha asked “where have you been?”
·        Naaman’s leprosy will cling to you and your descendants forever.
2 Kings 5:25-28
When he went in to his master, Elisha asked him, “Where have you been, Gehazi?” “I haven’t been anywhere,” he replied. But Elisha asked him, “Don’t you realize that I was there in spirit when Naaman stepped down from his chariot to meet you? Is this the time to receive money and clothing, olive groves and vineyards, sheep and cattle, and male and female servants? 
Because you have done this, you and your descendants will suffer from Naaman’s leprosy forever.” When Gehazi left the room, he was covered with leprosy; his skin was white as snow.
Heart Question
“The heart is hopelessly dark and deceitful, a puzzle that no one can figure out. But I, God, search the heart and examine the mind. I get to the heart of the human. I get to the root of things. I treat them as they really are, not as they pretend to be.”
1.     What does this scripture say to you about a Holy God?
2.     What are your thoughts about consequences?
3.     Can you understand the Heart of God after reading this lesson?
4.     How would you define “an issue of the heart”?

Prayer
Father, I can not change my course, but indeed I can change how I look at it. 

Holy Spirit I ask that you awaken me to see the sin that so easily ensnares my heart. And show me how to confess it to you so I may be healed. Father, I come to the Jordan where I surrender to you all of me. May I come up cleanse white as snow and may the heavens hear my song of praise to You for Your wonderful works You are doing in me.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The A B C’s of LIFE

“We All Go The Way of Grace”