The God Most High

I bow before your holy Temple as I worship. I praise your name for your unfailing love and faithfulness; 
for your promises are backed by all the honor of your name. Psalm 138:2     

Enjoy this wonderful song..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyRQMqYrSg0

The compound name “El Elyon” means the 'God Most High'. El means “God” and Elyon means “High, or most High.” You can find it in Genesis 14:18-22 used by Abraham when making an oath.
The only other occurrence of God called “El Elyon” is in Psalm 78:35:
Then they remembered that God was their rock, that God Most High was their redeemer.
As I continue to share some of the different names of God from the Old Testament, I find it amazing how much detail, meaning and honor the Hebrew nation took when choosing names.
Some bible examples could be:
Leah  Genesis 29:32
So Leah became pregnant and gave birth to a son. She named him Reuben, for she said, “The Lord has noticed my misery, and now my husband will love me.”
Rachel   Genesis 30:22 
Then God remembered Rachel’s plight and answered her prayers by enabling her to have children. She became pregnant and gave birth to a son. “God has removed my disgrace” she said. And she named him Joseph, for she said, “May the Lord add yet another son to my family.”
Let’s read Genesis 14:18-22

And Melchizedek, the king of Salem and a priest of God Most High, brought Abram some bread and wine. Melchizedek blessed Abram with this blessing: "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth."  And blessed be God Most High, who has defeated your enemies for you." The king of Sodom said to Abram, “Give back my people who were captured. But you may keep for yourself all the goods you have recovered.” Abram replied to the king of Sodom, I solemnly swear to the Lord, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth.

A Little Deeper    Notice, how wonderfully worded this oath is. Abraham uses “Elyon” to describe God because in his heart this is how he knows God. Therefore in making this vow, he swears by his God and calls Him, “El Elyon, the God Most High, the Creator of the heaven and earth.”  

I can’t help but wonder what it would be like in our homes and in our prayer lives, if we would get serious about prayer with the understanding of who God is and invoke His attributes (features), characteristics (qualities) and names (known) by you.  
Heart Question
1.     What names would you use to describe God as He is known by you?
2.     What can you see happening in your prayer life, if you prayed with this boldness and understanding of his name?
3.     Could this be something that you would want to teach your children or others?
Let Us Pray
Abba, as I am reminded that you created the heaven and the earth and everything above and below it, and everything in between, my heart is glad that you call me your own and that you are mindful of me. 
Teach me Lord, to realize that you are also the Creator of Peace, so when the storms of life come my way that I may be confident knowing that “Your Perfect Peace can be founded in the middle of the storm.”

Yet they don’t ask, ‘Where is God my Creator, the one who gives songs in the night?  Job 35:10 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The A B C’s of LIFE

“We All Go The Way of Grace”