The Cross Contrary to Nature



Sharing a story that Charles Spurgeon once used to tell of a simple countryman who took his gun to the gunsmith for repairs. After examining it, the gunsmith said, “Your gun is in a very worn-out, ruinous, good-for-nothing condition. What sort of repairs do you want?”
“Well”, said the countryman, I see that I can do with a new stock, lock and barrel. That ought to set it up again.” “Why”, asked the gunsmith, “you are better off getting a new gun altogether”.
“Ah, I never thought of that. I just want a new stock, lock and barrel. That about equals a new gun and that’s what I’ll have”. The poor countryman was simple yet sensible in his observation. This is how we must come to the Cross – simple and sensible to God’s ways.
From the beginning the work of the Cross was God’s plan to make us new in Christ. So, let’s look at scriptures to understand how God uses the Cross.
2 Corinthians 5:17
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.”

1 Corinthians 1:18 

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.


Reconciliation with GodEphesians 2:15-16
having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.
Conform Your willRomans 12:1-2
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Conform Your MindRomans 8:5-6 
For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Philippians 2:5
Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,

Worldly wisdom1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.

His WisdomJames 3:17
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.

The truth is that we are so addicted to “self” and so wrapped in it and so entwined by it, that we must learn to slay this old life so that we may begin to pick up our cross and follow Jesus. Let us continue to examine ourselves and pray for the Holy Spirit to empower us to do the will of the Father.
The Cross and The Two Natures
That which is born of the flesh is flesh. It will never enter the realm of the Spirit, because only that which is born of the Spirit is Spirit – John 3:6.
In every believer there is “the old man” which is corrupt according to its deceitful lusts. Those who have been born again have become new creatures in Christ, they have put on “the new man.”
These two natures war against one another. As Paul so simply expressed this in Romans, let’s read it.
Roman 7:14-24
For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord!
How does this truth minister to your heart?
Therefore, it is up to you to be responsible for the putting off the “old man” and putting on “the new man”. Like Paul we must cry out, “O wretched man that I am. Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord!
Romans 8 gives us a picture of the crossroad which we all come. We have the liberty to choose the path on the left, which is to walk after the flesh or choose the path on the right, which is to walk in the Spirit.
This liberty is not automatic, you must choose. If you do not kill sin, it will kill you! Because these two natures are in conflict for your soul.
The Lord instructed Israel that they would need to go fight to possess the promise land, Canaan. The land was theirs to receive, but they would need to fight to possess it. In like manner, you too must fight to die to the “old nature,” that the Spiritual man may bring life.

What has stood out to you about the two natures within the believer?

The Cross and Dying to The Old Nature 
1 John 3:6-9 
“Anyone who continues to live in Him will not sin. But anyone who keeps on sinning does not know Him or understand who He is.
Dear children don’t let anyone deceive you about this: When people do what is right, it shows that they are righteous, even as Christ is righteous. But when people keep on sinning, it shows that they belong to the devil, who has been sinning since the beginning. But the Son of God came to destroy the works of the devil. Those who have been born into God’s family do not make a practice of sinning, because God’s life is in them, so they can’t keep on sinning, because they are children of God”.
This passage centers on the believers’ fellowship with Christ. John wrote, “let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous”. Too many times (I’ve done this), the Christian believes that they are righteousness “in Christ” while continuing to sin. Let us not be deceived, “in Christ” and “in sin” do not go together!
The “new man” when abiding in sweet fellowship with God, will not sin. Let’s look at the illustration of Joseph while in Potiphar’s house (Genesis 39). Here we see Joseph at the crossroad having to face a choice of walking after the flesh or after the Spirit.
In verse 7, Joseph cries out “How then can I do this great wickedness and sin against God”? The key to Joseph’s decision was that God’s Word was hidden in his heart! He knew the hurt and shame that this sin would bring and more importantly, that he would be breaking sweet fellowship with God.
Psalm 119:11
I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
Throughout life we shall be coming to similar crossroads where we must choose between the flesh and the Spirit, between the old and the new. At that fork of the road, we shall face our cross and choice keeping in mind that good choices will demand death to self for this is the way that a believer matures in obedience and in his “walk in newness of life”.
Galatians 5:16
“I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh”
A word of encouragement for us who have slipped. The only answer is to confess your sins at once for He is faithful to forgive. Remember to let God continue the work which He has begun in you, for our God is faithful to complete it.
Read 1 John 1:9  then write a prayer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The A B C’s of LIFE

“We All Go The Way of Grace”