The Cross and Being Fruitful

To be fruitful is to be blessed by God. Let’s look at scriptures which speak of being fruitful and see God in every aspect of our lives. Even in our darkest time or difficult season of life, we can still be fruitful. Let's look at Joseph.
Psalm 128:3 
            “Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine, in the very heart of your house,
            Your children like olive plants, all around your table”.

Psalm 107:37 

            “And sow fields and plant vineyards, that they may yield a fruitful harvest”.

Genesis 41:52 

            “And the name of the second he called Ephraim:
            For God has caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction.”
Joseph, named his second son, Ephraim, which signifies fruits or fruitfulness. God had blessed him.  Joseph’s acknowledges it by naming his son Ephraim and saying; “for God hath caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction”.
The land referenced is Egypt, where Joseph had long been afflicted, but God had made him fruitful in grace, good works, in holiness and humility. God also bestowed Joseph with great gifts; the skill in the interpretation of dreams, wisdom in political affairs, wealth, two children and honor.

When you live for Jesus, you grow in the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, self-control, gentleness). Galatians 5:25 reminds us that if we “live in the Spirit, we must also walk in the Spirit.”


How often do you hear the comment; “Why do you do what you do”? It's not us that is doing the work, but it is Jesus in you.

We must learn to “present” Jesus to the world. Listen to this testimony.
“Barbara watched Mary and caught her first glimpse of the Savior and was drawn to Christ.  She could not understand what it was, but she felt that Mary had a spiritual secret and closely watched as Mary’s love for her enemies began to open her heart”.

Does Jesus shine through you, that the world may see Him?

You are called to bear fruit. Let’s look at John 15:1-2
“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.

Remember, it is in seasons of “pruning” when we are the most fruitful. Write your thoughts.
                                           
                                            The Cross and Day to Day Victory
The symbol to a Christian should not be a halo, an open book or a dove, but the Cross.
            Life everywhere replaces death,
            In earth, and sea and sky.
            And that the rose may breathe its breath,
            Some living thing must die.
The author tells a story shared by the Welsh evangelical speaker and Christian writer from the late 1800's, Mrs. Jessie Penn-Lewis experienced. She writes about enjoying her happy and joyous born again experience with Christ until she began to read a volume on the Cross. She says,
            “As I read the book, I clearly saw the way of the Cross, and all that it would mean. At first, I flung the book away and said, “No, I will not go that path. I shall lose all my glory experience.” But the next day I picked it up again, and the Lord whispered so gently, “If you want deep life and unbroken communion with God, this is the way.” I thought, shall I?
            No! And again, I put the book away. The third day I again picked it up. Once more the Lord             spoke, “If you want fruit, this is the path. I will not take the conscious joy from you, you may keep it if you like, but it is either that for yourself or this and fruit. Which will you have?”
            And then by His grace, I said, “I choose the path for fruitfulness”.
I walked for a time in such complete darkness – the darkness of faith – that it seemed almost as if God did not exist. I did not know what the outcome of this would be until I went to some meetings and then I saw the fruit. From that moment, I understood and knew, intelligently, that it was dying and not doing, that produces spiritual fruit.
The secret of a fruitful life is – to pour out to others and want nothing for yourself. To leave yourself utterly in the hands of God and not care what happens to you.
Mrs. Penn-Lewis elegantly expresses what I experienced earlier in the year. After reading Born Cruificied I went about my normal daily routine for close to a year, when the Holy Spirit began to speak to my heart about doing a study of this book. Glad to be doing My Father’s business, I began writing about being crucified with Christ, without knowing what the outcome would be.
I can honestly say, ‘writing this study and sharing it, has brought me to a deeper walk with Christ and an intelligent understanding of the Cross”. The Cross is so much more than a symbol of what Jesus has done to reconcile us to God. The Cross is a way of living our life for God and recognize our need for the Cross everyday as we desire to become more like Christ.
Let’s look at Luke 14:25-28 and allow the Holy Spirit to gently speak to your heart.
“A large crowd was following Jesus. He turned around and said to them, “If you want to be my disciple, you must, by comparison, hate everyone else, your father and mother, wife, children, brothers and sisters, yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple. And if you do not carry your own cross and follow me, you cannot be my disciple.
 “But don’t begin until you count the cost. 
What does this scripture say?
Sooner or later most of us as believers awaken to a sense of our sinful nature. We hunger and thirst after righteousness, but “self” hinders the flow of the living waters. Realizing that the Cross must be at the heart of the Christian life is only the beginning and that dying to self must be learned. It must be a daily process that should become a lifelong work by the Holy Spirit.


Allow me to share a few examples that I recently learned in dying to my “self”. (1) small inconveniences, (2) unwelcomed distractions and (3) additional duties. These small things did upset me but more so, I recognized how “self” became so annoyed by them.
I humbled myself and asked the Lord to teach me to learn how to embrace these circumstances as my cross. I desired to use this opportunity to learn to die to my selfishness.

It was a beautiful awakening of seeing my sinful nature and knowing what to do. I realize that I will fail at times, but I will strive to learn and continue to pick up my cross that I may surrender to His. 

There are many circumstances that you can embrace as your Cross and begin to die to. List some that you can begin to embrace? 

Let us learn to take these opportunities to grow that we may lay down our life. Let us welcome these weaknesses and say ” When I am weak, then I am strong”  2 Corinthians 12:10

Can we think beyond ourselves and desire to die to the world and its applause, to its customs, fashions and laws?


Let this be our prayer.

Lord,
Help me to see how necessary it is that I become dead to all of me, if indeed I want to be conformed to Your image.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The A B C’s of LIFE

“We All Go The Way of Grace”